Wednesday 13 June 2012

Thing 2 and Thing 1

Carrot by Jill Penney
Daisy Daisy and Splatter Long by Jo Capper-Sandon
Picket Fence by Daniel Torrente
Journey Collage by Amy Wilson Wellenstein

Over on the Stampotique Designers Challenge blog this week, Willy has set us all a brand new challenge:

This week our hostess is Willy and she would like to see how creative you can be using the same stamp twice on your project!  We look forward to seeing how you interpret Willy's theme of "Twins"!

As soon as I stared thinking about this fab and unusual challenge I thought of 'good/evil', then I thought about 'double trouble', and then I thought about 'The Cat in the Hat' by Dr Seuss, where there are two fantastic creatures called Thing 2 and Thing 1. Here they are in their original form: 


My son LOVED these books when he was younger, and I love them too, really I do. But after the first 300 times I was getting a little weary of reading them. My husband and I started coming up with a million avoidance tactics to get out of the bedtime reading slot hahaha!! It became a competition between us to see who could come up with the best excuse to get out of it (baaaaad mummy!). Fantastic though it is, there is only so many times you want to read 'Green eggs and ham'.

So, for this challenge I decided to create a journal page in honour of Dr Seuss, and in memory of all the fab excuses I came up with to avoid it ;-)



Two carrots masquerading as Thing 2 and Thing 1, complete with red bodies and blue hair:


Can you believe that this is the first time I have used Distress Inks as a journal background? I used the non-wrinkle distress technique:


Do come and join us with this fun challenge, you may even be lucky enough to win the $30 gift certificate that is up for grabs.  All you have to do is make something, anything, using the same Stampotique stamp twice. Simples! Have a look here for some wonderful creative ideas from the design team.

Now, as you know I have been absent for a while due to filming my *new* art journaling DVDs which will be out during the summer. Thanks so much to all of you who bought the first ones - because of the success of these I have been able to make some more. But oooooh, I do find it all a bit stressful, I don't want you to think I find it all easy-peasy nooooo! After my first two DVDs many of you commented on how calm I looked but don't be fooled!! Calm on the outside but not on the inside.

However, through filming these DVDs I have discovered that I have a tremendous ability to talk utter cr*p! Here's a taste of things to come:


Watch this space!

27 comments:

  1. Well done Kate - its always good to know what essential essentials are!!!LOL. Love thing 1 and 2!!! well done getting the filming done!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! as soon as I read the words on your page!!! I knew.... another tormented soul!!!!! We are stuck on Ham and Green eggs atm!!! *weeps* helplessly!!
    Fab page btw! and your out takes are brill :o))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya kate,
    Oh these two are so cute, Ha thing 1 and thing 2, funny.
    I could not buy your journalling DVD's off Dy, she did not have any!!!! Oh had my money out ready too.
    Must get them somewhere else now.
    Debbiexx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fab. Just so much fun and the colours are glorious. Love the story that goes with it as well.
    I use distress inks quite often for backgrounds and find they work really well. A good alternative to sprays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love things 1 and 2 as well, thankfully I didn't have to read about them to anyone. Love this page and your outtakes!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always I love the background you created and love thing 1 and thing 2! Love those books and reading them to my kids. My favorite is the foot book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic page, love the colors and details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I have some essential essentials too lol. Love you page Kate, seems I got off lightly with the Mr Men! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Thing 1 and 2 page... what a great idea to commemorate that time in your life. I adore the depth of color in the background, too. Can't wait to see DVD#3... the outtakes are cracking me up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You just can't help but laugh at your out-take. Its hilarious. Your journal page is so incredibly colouricious! (Is that even a word...errm no, but it says it all). The caption is brilliant, not to mention the cool images. Luurrrve it. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a bright colors and great creation...so cute too! Great text and stamps...

    greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab pages Kate, love your outake !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Kate, I totally love your take on this challenge...well...er..um...guess I ALWAYS LOVE your take on ALL the challenges lol My oldest (32) loved every one of these books and esp the grinch :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful take on the challenge, Kate! Love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. as always your background is WONDERFUL!!! the video is really funny

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a gorgeous page, Thing 1 & 2 are adorable. The out-take is funny, I'mn sure you got there in the end. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fun and fabulous pages Kate! your great personality shines in your art- and in your outtakes :):)

    ReplyDelete
  18. DVD take out is priceless. I noticed right away that CR*P is spelled the same no matter which side of the pond we are on! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. loving your page and the outake is a classic

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do like it Sam I Am. Love it in fact and so very suitable for today - the sun didn't shine, it was too wet to play....

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is just awesome, love your background

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this page. Thing 1 & 2 are fabulous & I really love your choice of words for the project!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved these books and the page is fab. Hurrah for the next dvd, I use your first 2 so often....cannot wait until it is out.
    Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous page and I very much look forward to the new dvd!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!